There are a lot of books and many lengthy articles about how to get promoted. But rather than read through hours and hours of theoretical material, here are 24 ideas that will help you get promoted.
- Figure out if there is room for promotion in your company
- Create opportunities to show how well you can perform
- Take on visible projects – preferably that stretch your skills and are of visible benefit to the company
- Volunteer for cross-dept projects
- Look at your company’s need and objectives. What could you do differently in your job to better contribute to these objectives?
- Make your boss and their boss look good
- Build relationships with your boss’s peers’ staff
- Look at recent promotions – what did they do differently
- Increase your visibility – how can you demonstrate that you get results
- Find a coach or mentor with a senior executive or manager
- Get politically savvy – though don’t burn bridges
- Be known as a positive thinker
- Be ambitious and passionate about what you do – if you can’t, find a job in which you can
- Be punctual to meetings and arrive at work 30 minutes early in the morning and leave 15 minutes later in the afternoon
- Network, network, network and try to be popular
- Attend company functions and make sure the key stakeholders know you want a promotion
- Learn a new skill – show you have direction during your appraisals
- Look at your own succession plan. Who will replace you?
- Plan each day – what are your top 6 objectives you want to achieve today
- Do more than is required on each task
- Share the credit with your peers
- Quantify your results
- Promote yourself – attend and present at industry associations, conferences. Write articles, online discussions.
And most importantly,
24. Be a team player